Showing the recessionary trends except towards the last month, the Bombay box office dragged along with the rest of the year as well. The top nett earners in Bombay city & suburbs (not counting 3 Idiots which released in the last week) were as following over 2009:
1. Ajab Prem Ki Ghajab Kahani (Ranbir Kapoor-Katrina Kaif) - Rs. 12 crores,
2. Paa (Amitabh Bachchan, Vidya Balan, Abhishek Bachchan) - 10 cr+ expected (currently at Rs. 9 crores in week 4)
3. All the Best (Ajay Devgan, Fardeen Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Bipasha Basu) - 10 crores,
4. Love Aaj Kal (Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone) - 10 crores,
5. New York (John Abraham, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Katrina Kaif) - 9 crores,
6. Wanted (Salman Khan, Ayesha Takia) - 9 crores,
7. De Dana Dan (Akshay Kumar, Sunil Shetty, Katrina Kaif) - 8 crores,
8. Kaminey (Shahid Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra) - 8 crores,
9. Kambakht Ishq (Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor) - 7 crores,
10. Wake Up Sid (Ranbir Kapoor, Konkona Sen) - Rs. 7 crores.
Of the major grossers, most had huge initial print releases and whimpered out subsequently, for example Saif Ali Khan starrer Love Aaj Kal. Some like Blue flopped outright. Wanted, the Salman Khan starrer touted as a big hit did about 9 crores in Bombay. Just about same as Akshay Kumar's De Dana Dan. Paa has crossed Wanted in Bombay and could do 10cr+ net at the end, coming in #3 for the year. Vishal Bharadwaj's Shahid Kapoor fare Kaminey did 8 crores but would have crossed 10-11 crores in Bombay also given the fact that the film missed out on the opening 4 days of its run due to Swine Flue scare in the city in August. Ajab Prem, another superhit, did over 12 crores net in Mumbai city after a 7 cr opening week. It would settle at #2.
All time net earners at the Bombay box office? Ghajini (Rs. 19 crores), 3 Idiots (expected), and Lage Raho Munnabhai (Rs. 17 crores). Two of the top 3 incidentally directed by Raju Hirani.
Years ago the Rs. 1 crore mark in Bombay was considered a gold standard for hit films. Now it can be roughly said the standard for big budget films is 10 crores. Some upcoming films that will like to extend the benchmark next year include Shahrukh Khan's MNIK, Abhishek Bachchan-Aishwarya Rai starrer Raavan, and Hrithik Roshan-Barbara Mori fare Kites.